NYSPHSAA Announces Officials Appreciation Day
Date Posted: 09/25/2019
Author: Chris Watson, Director of Communications
NYSPHSAA Announces First Ever Officials Appreciation Day
Student-Athletes Can Thank and Celebrate Officials on October 2nd
Latham, NY- The New York State Public High School Athletic Association Inc. (NYSPHSAA) is proud to announce its first ever Officials Appreciation Day on Wednesday October 2nd, a day student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans are encouraged to thank the officials who make interscholastic athletics possible.
Officials Appreciation Day was established to recognize officials at every level, including Modified, who officiate games or events during the Fall, Winter or Spring season within the NYSPHSAA. The concept was initiated by the NYSPHSAA Sportsmanship Committee over a year ago. An Officials Appreciation Day will take place each year on the Wednesday of Week #13 on NYSPHSAA’s Standard Athletic Calendar. In 2020, Officials Appreciation Day will be celebrated on Wednesday, September 30th.
“We are excited to honor the officials across New York State on October 2nd “ said Dr. Robert Zayas NYSPHSAA Executive Director. “Without officials there would be no interscholastic athletics for our student-athletes to participate. It is important for us to thank officials for the job they do and show them how much we value and appreciate them.”
NYSPHSAA has offered student-athletes, school districts and fans several ideas to encourage participation in the 2019 NYSPHSAA Officials Appreciation Day including:
- Like and follow NYSPHSAA on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Tag your photos, videos and messages with #NYSPHSAAOfficialsDay.
- Greet and escort officials on day of the game
- Announce the officials over the PA before the game
- Meet and greet with officials after the game
- Take a picture with both teams and the officials after the game
- Thank you card signed by one or both of the teams
- Provide water and/or snacks for the officials
- Say thank you to an official you see before, during or after a game or contest
- Post a message on the marquee of your school
- Bring a sign to a game that says thank you to an official
- Shake hands after a game or contest and thank an official for their service
- NYSPHSAA will send all section representative a PA announcement to recognize and thank the officials at the games
NYSPHSAA has also established the hashtag #NYSPHSAAOfficialsDay for all social media posts for anyone who wants to share their favorite memories and stories throughout the day.
About NYSPHSAA (Twitter: @NYSPHSAA | Facebook: NYSPHSAA | YouTube: NYSPHSAASports):
The New York State Public High School Athletic Association Inc. is a non-profit, voluntary, educational service organization composed of public, parochial, and private schools dedicated to providing equitable and safe competition for the students of its member schools. The organization conducts 32 championship events and governs the rules and regulations of high school athletics in New York State. Membership is open to secondary schools providing interschool athletic activities for boys and girls in grades 7-12.