NEW YORK STATE FEDERATION OF SECONDARY SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATIONS
DONALD DOUGLAS, President
JOHN PRIZZI, Vice President
DENISE HILLIG, Treasurer/Secretary
JIM FOSTER, Executive Secretary
New York State Association of Independent Schools Athletic Association:
JOHN PIZZI, Riverdale
ROBERT ANNUNZIATA, Bronx
New York State Catholic High Schools Athletic Association:
DENISE HILLIG, Astoria
DONALBUCKLEY, South Huntington
THOMAS MURRAY, Bronx
New York State Public High School Athletic Association:
ROBERT ZAYAS, Latham
PAUL HARRICA, Plattsburgh
Public Schools Athletic Leagueof the City of New York:
DONALD DOUGLAS, New York City
BRENDA MORGAN, New York City
DANIELHARRIS, New York City
DARRYL DAILY, State Education Dept., Albany
CONSTITUTION OF THE
NEW YORK STATE FEDERATION OF SECONDARY SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSSOCIATIONS
The name of this organization shall be the New York State Federation of Secondary School Athletic Associations.
The purpose of this Federation shall be:
- To coordinate the cooperative efforts of its member Associations to insure fair interschool amateur competition among all schools.
- To support each of its member Associations in the observance of good sportsmanship and high ideals in amicable interschool relations.
- To encourage maximum participation in a variety of appropriate athletic activities.
- To assist in the proper interpretation, observance, and improvement of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education (135.4) governing athletics so that interschool athletics are an integral part of the secondary school curriculum.
- To assure that secondary school competitions are in compliance with Regulations of the Commissioner.
- To protect student athletes from exploitation, commercialism, and professionalism in order to uphold the values of wholesome, clean, appropriate competition for boys and girls in our schools.
- To participate in research and experimentation to strengthen programs and to improve safety in sports.
- To cooperate in the development of high standards for officiating.
- To support the Constitution, Bylaws and Rules adopted by this Federation.
- Membership in this Federation shall be open to these recognized Associations representing secondary schools chartered by the State Education Department: New York Catholic High Schools Athletic Association, New York State Public High School Athletic Association, Public Schools Athletic League of the City of New York, and NYS Association of Independent Schools Athletic Associations of this State. Other Associations may apply for membership in this Federation if organized on a similar basis as the member Associations named above.
- The governing Board of each of these Associations shall ratify this Constitution in order to approve membership
- The Executive Committee of this Federation shall prepare and approve a budget for allocation of expenditures for the ensuring year and notify each member Association of the amount of its annual assessment.
- A membership fee for each Association may be assessed as an equal share of the total amount required.
- The membership year shall be from July 1 through June 30.
- No part of the net earnings of this Federation shall inure to the benefit of any member, trustee, officer, or director of the Federation or any private individual (except that reasonable compensation may be paid for services rendered to or for the Federation affecting one or more of its purposes) and no member, trustee, officer, or director of the Federation or any private individual shall be entitled to share in the distribution of any of the Federation’s assets on dissolution of the Federation. Upon the dissolution of the Federation or the winding up of its affairs, the assets of the Federation shall be distributed exclusively for educational purposes in accordance with the provisions of Section 501 (c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code and its Regulations as they now exist or they may hereafter be amended.
ARTICLE IV–EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
- The Executive Committee of the Federation shall consist of a number not to exceed three (3) representatives designated by each member association.
- Each member Association shall have one vote on any action to be taken by the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee may invite representatives of organizations and agencies as well as individuals to participate as consultants to the Federation.
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least twice a year.
- Notice of a meeting of the Executive Committee shall be sent to each representative at least thirty (30) days prior to a meeting date.
- The president of the Federation may call a special meeting of the Executive Committee, providing twenty (20) days’ notice is given to each representative.
- Any action which may be taken at any meeting of the Executive Committee may be taken without a meeting by a mail vote, if authorized in writing signed by a majority of the member Associations.
- The Federation Executive Committee shall elect a slate of officers at the spring meeting as presented by the Nominating Committee. Officers shall be elected from members of the Executive Committee for a two (2) year term of office: President, Vice President (2), Secretary, Treasurer, and Executive Secretary. The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- Preside at all meetings of the Federation.
- Convene, when necessary, special meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Appoint coordinators of all subcommittees approved by the Executive Committee.
- Prepare agendas for meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Represent the Federation in venue contract negotiations with the Executive Secretary.
- Attend Federation Championship events.